Wednesday, August 22, 2007

23 days...

That's right, folks, I'm really going. Come hell and high water, makes no difference-- so long as planes can still take off and land, that is. I'm still not sure how I feel about all of this. I'm trying to add up all the expenses right now, and it looks like it's going to be just about as expensive as OB, just in slightly different ways. The main concern at the moment is the cash-flow issue between my departure time and the point where my loans come through and I get my excess aid check. Yeah, that might hurt a bit. It looks like I'm going to have about $150 to travel with-- not exactly flush, I know. But I'll be able to work through it, right? Until I get a job on-campus, right?

I've got the accommodation application and now I'm awaiting the arrival of my joining papers so I can get my official ID number to apply for housing. Everybody cross your collective fingers that I somehow get a place at Elphinstone Road. I really can't afford and do not want catered accommodation... and they say that money can't buy happiness, but it can buy an en-suite room and that's basically the same thing.

I'm waiting on the IRS to send me my tax transcript so I can finish filing my FAFSA and get the ball rolling there. They said that it wouldn't be an issue to arrive before all my funding goes through, so that's a good sign. I'm draining my meager savings to come up with the utility fees and deposit monies for the housing, but hopefully that will get me over the initial hurdles.

Despite the very good advice of some wonderfully wise friends, I'm taking my old columbia coat from LakeState, the same tennis shoes I've always had, a pair of rubber boots from the attic and as many sweaters that I already own as possible. I will get one more pair of jeans and MAYBE a heavy pair of khakis, but that's it. If I don't already have it, I'm not buying it. Oh, except for power adapters and a new battery for my laptop. THOSE things I do need. As far as a cell phone for once I'm over there, that will have to wait for the excess aid. All I can do is all I can do.

Cheers for CB, who has withstood the weight of my ignorance, my billions of questions and even sent me a book of current Scots phrases. My personal favorite so far is 'carfuffle', which means to cause an outcry or rukus.

I'll keep posting the winners as I discover them!

1 comment:

Moominmama said...

down here in the posh south we spell it "kerfuffle," but it means the same thing. I love that word! There will be many kerfuffles before this is all through, but you will be fine. xoxox