Saturday, December 22, 2007

Forget your wild Irish roses...

... What I have for you are some hardy Scottish flowers!

All of these pictures were taken within the city of Aberdeen, Scotland. I took them within the past week on various long walks that I've been taking since the colsure of classes. Please bear in mind that we here on the coast of the North Sea have been withstanding gale-force winds that I would put up against anything I ever encountered in Sault Sainte Siberia. The sleet here is as common as snow back home, and yet these amazing doric flowers continue to bloom... I'm living in an enchanted land, that's all I can figure.


This lovely orange-yellow almost-peace rose bush is between the Queen Mother Library and a carpark on campus. The one bloom looks like it's been hit by a hard frost, but the others somehow withstood the nightly hoar-frosts.


This little pink flower is just one of a large bed on Gallowgate, heading towards the City Center.


White roses in Seaton Park, on my walk to Uni-- these have apparently magical greenskeepers who tend to them on a weekly basis, but mostly just nip dead flowers off the bushes and topiary-type trees.


A close-up of the white roses... I was impressed firstly by the flower and secondly by the thirty seconds of NO WIND that allowed me to take the picture... *gasp of shock and happiness!*


And what really gets me is that these are not old blooms that have been frozen and thus look fresh-- oh no. They're still budding and blooming!


A bed of pink roses, just to prove that these are not isolated, freak occurances!


Another cluster of white roses.


A pretty pink one on the far end of the formal gardens.


Amazingly red rose in the middle of December... you know, like you do.


One last pink rose just as you get to the top of the hill and are exiting Seaton Park.


A yellow rose on Tillydrone Avenue, I was astonished at how bright the yellow was, but the surrounding grey granite glistening under a hard frost and a bit of ice probably helped the overall impression.


In somebody's yard on Hayton Road. What you can't see are all the crushed beer cans and forgotten children's toys in the rest of the yard. These roses are definitely continuing to exist with no help from the human coinhabitants, and all this amazes me. Back home I wouldn't be able to get roses to look like this if I spent hundreds of dollars and 12 hours a day coaxing them. Here, people ignore and even trample them and they blossom all the more fully-- I love it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. Thank you for brightening my grey, cold, snowy, colorless winter with these GORGEOUS blooms. I'd seriously forgotten what color in nature looks like.