Monday, July 28, 2008

Happy Birthday, Ms. Potter!

Thanks to Google and their lovely vaguely-pastel logo art for alerting the vast internet population to this delightful day!


Here's to a hip hip for the creator of the iconic gluttonous bunny and shovel-weilding, heartless farmers!

Here's the woman of the hour, walking her beloved pet rabbit, Benjamin Bouncer






No, honestly-- who didn't love her tales as a child? Mrs. Tiggy-Winkle and Jemima Paddle-Duck are still household favorites around here. Mutie has a miniture boxed set of selected Beatrix Potter works that I coveted as a child, and upon my most recent homecoming read to my youngest sister, the esteemed Badger.

I didn't know that she had visited Scotland on family holidays, though thinking back on her illustrations, I can't say that I'm surprised. Likewise, I was unaware of her work on lichens and status as an expert on mycology. Crazy.

To celebrate this lovely lady, I suggest we all dust off your old childhood companions and be alright with a moment of literary softness, so much like rabbit fur, and smile blissfully-- it'll make a delightful change of pace!

No worries, Benjamin, you're right on time!

No comments: