Monday, March 1, 2010

YAY!

So, Yours Truely did, in fact, peer desperately at her laptop screen in breathless suspense for the duration of the Canada-USA Mens Ice Hockey match yestereve. Needless to say, I was rooting for the Canadians (I mean, honestly...) and my viewing experience would have been vastly improved had my internet connection not COMPLETELY freaked out midway through the second period and left me hanging onto every posting on the LiveTwitter portion of the BBC Sport website. Apparently I just wasn't good enough for iPlayer to not screw me over. There was much gnashing of teeth. MUCH GNASHING.

Regardless, hang on I did, and text in twice. Here's what the BBC wrote at the conculsion of the overtime period:

1503: Sidney Crosby was already a legend, at the age of 22, coming into these Games. Every young Canadian wants his name on their jersey. Every young Canadian wants to be him. He was always going to have a hard time living up to that reputation and, in the early games of this tournament, he was just another name on th...e roster. 'Sid the kid' was quiet. Now, with millions from Kampala to Baghdad to Vancouver to Aberdeen watching (and I know that, they've all been texting me), he has enshrined his name in Canadian folklore. Sidney Crosby has scored the biggest goal of the biggest game of the biggest tournament, for the biggest nation in the sport.

Yeah, that's right!! I texted in and Aberdeen gets the shout-out! Properly chuffed, thank you very much. Oh, and Canada winning is pretty cool, too.

1 comment:

The Pixy Princess said...

huuum... never took you for a Canuck hockey fan! But yeah... I'm terribly pleased at the end results and terribly proud to be Canadian right now! :)