Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Before I completely forget....

Have some pretty daffodils!

Here is the meme that CB hit me with:


1. Grab the nearest book of 123 pages or more.

2. Open it to page 123.

3. Find the first 5 sentences and write them down.

4. Then invite 5 friends to do the same.


So here are mine:

"To all that which you are, and, for our language, are not, I add a consciousness. I make you experience your supreme identity as a relationship, I name you and define you. You become a delicious passivity. You attain entire possession of yourself in abstention. You give to the infinite the glorious feeling of its limits."(I've only got one room-- my bedroom-- where I get to do all my reading for my course, so cut me some slack.) This little gem comes from Thomas the Obscure by Maurice Blanchot, translated by Lydia Davis, and collected within The Staion Hill Blanchot Reader: Fiction and Literary Essays. Deal with it.
I don't think five people actually read this, so-- if'n you do, and you've got a blog somewhere (I'm looking at you, Katey and Charlotte and Hannah) please do pick this up. :)

5 comments:

Moominmama said...

Good lord! What a load of self-important tripe!

Maybe it loses something in the translation.

Unknown said...

Hey, I read it! Didn't really understand it, but I read it!

I'll post it on my blog... I just love book memes.

Mudlark said...

Irrelevant to the post, but...

You're a whisky drinking sea kayaker who reads AB Paterson. And who apparently lives in Scotland. //Shakes hand vigorously.//

Fades back in to oblivion...

Miss Melville said...

Thanks, fellows...

And welcome, Mudlark! I hope you'll find the new(ish) vision statement of this place to of better interest!

Miss Melville said...

Thanks, fellows...

And welcome, Mudlark! I hope you'll find the new(ish) vision statement of this place to of better interest!